Who is Marie-Philippe Gill?
Hello! I’m Marie-Philippe Gill. I am a content creator on Instagram, YouTube, and on this blog, that you’re reading now! Professionally, I will soon be open to working full-time as a data scientist. I just graduated from software engineering at École de Technologie Supérieure (ÉTS) in Montreal. I also have a college degree (DEC) in Computer Science. I am currently working on my master’s thesis. I recently completed an internship at Johns Hopkins University. My research is on using smartwatches to predict the severity of Parkinson’s Disease symptoms.
I am from Bromont, Quebec. A very pretty town with horses and a mountain perfect for skiing in the winter. My first language is French, and I learned English throughout the years at school and by attending tech events in Montreal.
I will be graduating in early 2021, and I will be looking for a data scientist opportunity in the Greater Montreal area or in the U.S. if the company can help facilitate immigration.
Why did I create Girl Knows Tech?
I always had a blog, ever since I was 12. From 2009 to 2014, I had a book review blog. When I entered computer sciences in 2012, I stopped reading as I became fascinated with tech, so I could not write blog posts anymore.
In 2015, I missed writing. If I’m honest, I hesitated to go into journalism or technology. Therefore, blogging is the perfect combination of my two passions in life: tech and writing. That is why I created Girl Knows Tech in 2015.
At that time, I wanted to get involved in promoting women in tech, so a blog seemed like a great way to do so!
On this blog, you can find articles about my life as an undergraduate student, tips for actual college students (for example, how to stay focused). Throughout the years, I also posted various blogging tutorials and how-to’s, as well as articles about women in tech because that’s a really important cause for me!
Follow me on social media
You can always contact me by email for any inquiries.
- GTI711 – My Research Project
- Speech Technologies Reading Group – My Research Project on Parkinson’s Disease
- Speech Technologies Reading Group – Language Models
- Panel about Ethics on Social Media – Quintus 2019
- Le Code des filles, panel des femmes en devenir
- October 13th, 2018: Girls and code, montreal movement. Panel about my path to tech and software engineering
- International Women’s Day 2018: Panel at my university about how we can make sure my university is inclusive
In the press
- Une Girl Knows Tech Inspirante, Revue Le Plan de l’Ordre des Ingénieurs du Québec
- Marie-Philippe Gill, étudiante à l’ÉTS à Montréal et passionnée, Bridgr
- Mission : plus de femmes en génie, Génie Inc
- Les Catalys celebrates women in science : episode 8 features Marie-Philippe Gill, a student at ETS
- S’impliquer dans les technologies, Journal Métro
- Girls Who Code event aims to close gender gap in Quebec’s tech field, CBC
- SatelliteWP Rewards Marie-Philippe Gill for her Involvement
- Marie-Philippe Gill brise les barrières en techno, Ge Sans Filtre
- Engagement étudiant, des grands honneurs pour Marie-Philippe Gill
- This Girl Knows Tech And She Wants to Inspire Every Budding Woman In STEM Around The World – Meet Marie-Philippe Gill!, Ionizer Mag
- Quand on veut, on peut! Journal Le Plus, May 16th, 2018
- La bourse de Google « Women Techmakers » pour une Bromontoise
- Glamour Magazine, Spain – November 2017 issue
- Marie-Philippe Gill: Tech Blogger & Instagram Star, Wi-Tech
- Where Did You Start : Marie-Philippe Gill, She Does Digital
- Ingénieure, Blogueuse et féministe (Partie 1, Partie 2), Podcast Aime Ta Marque
- Meet Marie-Philippe Gill, See It Be It Stem It
- Podcast Interview on 20%, Quebec Science
- Interview on Witty Podcast
- Interview on RepHike
- Interview “Why I Chose My Major” on HaleyMarieBlog
- Interview on She Does Digital
- This Girl Knows Tech And She Wants to Inspire Every Budding Woman In STEM Around The World – Meet Marie-Philippe Gill
- Marie-Philippe Gill: Tech Blogger & Instagram Star – WiTech.org
- Losing Lena, Documentary by Code Like A Girl
- 15 Female Web Developers to Follow On Instagram, on Vanila Blog
- My top 5 Female Tech Blogs (and why you should follow them), on Luminous
- 20 Tech Influencers to Follow, Dealspotr
- Quelle est la place des femmes en génie?, on Genium360 blog
- Top Blogs Young Women In Technology Should Follow – Code Like A Girl
- Women in technology –