People regularly ask me the same questions on Instagram. So I decided to write this article to answer once and for all these questions and to stop always having to repeat my explanations! 😉
What is my favorite programming language? How did I learn to code? Why is my mother tongue, French? You will finally have the answer to your questions!
This article contains affiliate links. This doesn’t cost you anything, but I can earn a small commission if you buy something or sign up on a website. This helps me to maintain the blog. My full disclosure is here.
- Where do I live? What am I studying? What am I doing in life?
All of these questions are answered at length on my about me page!
- How did I learn to code?
I learned to code when I was about 11-12 years old. It all started on Neopets.I started by making graphics on Paint and PhotoFiltre. At that time, Photoshop was not yet fully available in the game, so people began to ask me to give them graphics for their guild, their user profile, or their shop.I started to do graphics but also to code the HTML behind. For example, for a guild layout, I had to write the exact coordinates in HTML where the text would have to be on the image I had created.That’s how I learned HTML and CSS! Then my little project evolved and I started my own static HTML website offering graphics to other players on freewebs.com. No need to explain how much time it took me. I still remember myself updating my navigation menu on every page one by one! Good old times!I’ll publish an article soon telling you more about how I learned to code, but it’s a start! 🙂
- What is my favorite programming language?
I did a lot of Java and C # in Cégep, so I would say C # is my favorite programming language since it’s the one I used the longest. I must also admit that I like Python and React, I’d like to learn more about them. In conclusion… I don’t really have one favorite language!
- Why is French my mother tongue?
I have a relatively simple answer to that question: French and English are Canada’s two official languages. Not everyone speaks English in Canada. In the province of Quebec, the majority of the population speaks French. I come from a French family!
- How did I learn English?
I learned English at school. I also take every opportunity I have to speak and practice. Even when I was young, becoming fluent in English was important to me. I knew how crucial it is in today’s world. Especially in technology, it can open up a lot of doors in a career!
- Which programming languages do I know?
- What technologies do I use for my blog?
I created my blog with WordPress.org. My host is SiteGround. My WordPress theme is Soledad. I bought it on ThemeForest.
- What is my work setup?
I wrote a very detailed article about my work environment and my essential tech gadgets!
- What is my specialty in computer science? What do I want to do when I graduate?
I do not have any specialty. During my internships, I worked in mobile applications (Android and iOS), in ERPs, in a startup… I also have no idea what I want to do when I graduate.Until now, I have used my internships to discover as many things as I can in tech, but nothing passionate me as my blog and social media are. There’s nothing that I worked on and told myself “I see myself doing that for a very long time.” Maybe my expectations are too high; I don’t know. I’m looking for a job that I won’t consider a job if I make sense.I want to find a job where I’m happy to go every morning and happy on Sunday nights too!
- How do I manage my time to efficiently manage my blog and all my other activities?
I think the key is to be very organized:
- Have a great calendar (digital or not),
- use to-do lists,
- set some goals every week and month of things you want to accomplish or learn, etc.
- Learn how to procrastinate less and get things do as soon as you can.With the increase of my workload at the beginning of university, I learned to organize myself more. I would also say that when you have a busy schedule, you enjoy every moment to accomplish your tasks and that pushes you to work even harder because you know that this is the time or never to do a task.Do things as soon as you can, don’t procrastinate, otherwise you will have to leave things aside, and that’s most probably going to be your side project.I have many to do lists to remind me of everything I need to do and when, from hair appointment to physio exercises, and homework, readings, emails, laundry, everything I need to do is in my Todoist app.I also use my commute to reply to emails, Instagram messages… When I wait in line I also work on my phone, I post to social media, reply to people, etc.It’s hard to answer this question, but if you have any more question about this, don’t hesitate to ask, I’m always happy to provide more details.
- What has been my biggest challenge since I started blogging?
I hate doing WordPress updates! It’s not a challenge, as it is easy to do, but since I HATE it, I thought I’d say it’s my challenge!
- What do I do when I’m not coding/blogging/studying?
Good question… I would be watching a TV show for sure!
- What is my greatest achievement?
My most significant accomplishment, in my opinion, is merely to be where I am today. I am organized, I have a great work ethic, even with my attention disorder and yet I manage to go to university in engineering without even needing accommodation. I work hard, a lot of hours, more than a lot of people to get to the same point, but it does not matter, I have learned to accept it.
- What is the best language to learn to code?
In all honesty, I don’t know if there is a language better than another. I indeed suggest starting with HTML and CSS. For what’s next, it depends on what kind of project you want to do. I already recommended Python, but I’ve already been told that it’s not a good language to start with because you do not learn braces and all that, but … I learned with Java, so… do as you want!
- Have I already done a project with a Raspberry Pi / Arduino?
No. I did a hovercraft for the Robohacks hackathon at McGill, but I did not do that part of the project. I would love to learn, however, but I don’t take the time right now, I prefer to focus on my other activities.
Got any other questions?
If you have any other questions for me, feel free to leave a comment on this article. I will be pleased to answer you.
How much I admire you and your effort by doing great job.
Thank you Rajkat! 🙂
Can you post your Machine Learning Syllabus?
What do you mean? What are you interested in?